Here, you can find all there is to know about how Happeo synchronizes Google Groups, how to set up a Google group, and how to hide groups from search.
How to set up a Google Group
Google Groups in Happeo are great for communication, sharing, and managing user permissions. To set up a Google Group, please see the instructions here. If you would like to know the best way to set up a Google Group structure you can find our article here.
How groups are synced in Happeo
Groups’ metadata (name, ID, email) are polled frequently from the Google Directory so that a new group should appear in Happeo roughly within 24 hours after creating it in Google Workspace.
If you wish to update the members aside from putting it to use in Happeo, you can do so, as a platform admin, by navigating to the:
- Admin settings through your avatar on the top-right menu
- Group management
- Search for the group you wish to sync
- Click on the three dots next to the group
- Click on Update from directory
Why are new group members not synced automatically?
The reasons why new members in a Google group are not synced automatically (if the group is not in use in Happeo) are as follows:
- Group sync is accomplished by actively polling changes in Google Directory. That's one reason why it is not done for all visible groups automatically
- Quite often many of the Google groups are not related to Happeo access control as a participant in Pages or Channels. They might be in use in other Google services
- Groups can also include members that have no relation to Happeo and therefore having them automatically synced would not be appropriate
Hide groups from search
Groups can also be hidden from search if needed. This can be done by navigating to the:
- Admin settings
- Group management
- Click on the three dots next to the group you would like to hide from search
- Click on Hide from search