Here, you can find all the details regarding Google's access permissions and how to authorize Google Drive and Calendar integrations.
Explanation of Google's access permissions
Happeo is a tool built to leverage your usage of Google Workspace which means that Happeo can be seen as an expansion of your existing Google services. In order to be able to do so, we obviously need to connect with your Google account.
As we understand that this may lead to some concerns, we will explain why we're asking for these permissions.
- By granting Happeo access to your Google environment, it enables the search function to find results not only within Happeo but also from your Drive, Calendar, and Gmail environments. You can read more about this in our article about the search function of Happeo
- The access permission allows Happeo to display content located within the Google Workspace environment in certain widgets, for example, files from a Google drive folder or a calendar event
- An important note here is to clarify that Happeo only requests permission to allow you to view or edit (depending on the settings) your documents and folders in Happeo. Those settings are inherited from the source of the content. This applies to Google drive items and Calendar events that access and view permissions remain the same as it is set in Google. So even though Happeo asks for permission, it would still only be you, the user, who is able to access the files
Happeo is asking for quite a few permissions and the wording in the request often tends to scare users. So what exactly can Happeo do when it asks to see, edit, create and delete all of your Google Drive files?
- See. Giving viewing access permissions to Happeo enables users to display content in widgets, such as the document, folder, file list, or recent files widget
- See. The access also allows Happeo to extend the search to content stored in Drive when the user is looking for specific content in the search bar
- Edit. Giving edit access permissions to Happeo also allows users to add Drive content to channels, in posts, or by connecting a folder to a channel
- Edit. The edit permissions also allow you to open and edit your files directly from within Happeo, without having to navigate to your Drive first
- Create. The creation permission will allow you to start a new document. No need to go to Docs, Sheets, or Slides. Just click on the icon for a new Folder, Doc, Sheet, Slide, or Form and start a new one from scratch or a template, directly within Happeo
- Delete. The deletion permission only comes into play for folders, wherefrom within Happeo you have the opportunity to remove files, enabling you to keep your folders tidy
- See. By enabling viewing permissions for Happeo, the search engine will be able to display search results from your calendar events
- See. Additionally, these rights will allow your colleagues to view your availability (if they have such access in Google) and directly schedule meetings with you from within Happeo
- Edit. Enabling edit permissions for Calendar will allow you to create events to your calendar directly from Happeo, or adjust existing meetings
- Share. Happeo offers you the ability to share a calendar with your co-workers, so you can easily keep track of deadlines together, from within Happeo
- Delete. The term "delete permanently", although very negative sounding, means that you'll be able to remove meetings like you normally are able to do from your calendar. Since Calendar doesn't have a bin, it's called "permanently delete"
- See. In the case of Gmail access permissions, it enables Happeo to display content from your Gmail inbox. Here, the same rule applies, namely that all permissions set in Gmail are respected by Happeo
- See. By enabling access for Happeo, the search bar has the ability to display elements from the user’s linked mailbox in the search results
We put the safety and security of you and your data first and you can rest assured that we are very careful with the access you are granting to Happeo.
Should you choose to not grant some of the permissions that we request, Happeo will be unable to provide you with some or any of its services.
If you are still unsure of these permissions, please reach out to your Happeo contact person or support for more information.
What are the advantages of enabling these integrations?
Enabling Google Drive and Google Calendar integrations will allow you to view content from these tools in Happeo.
Regarding Google Drive, below you can find some of the features that will be included in your Happeo environment once its integration is enabled:
- Attach a Drive file to a post
- View files attached to a Channel through Drive
- Utilize all Drive widgets within Pages such as folders, file lists, etc.
For Google Calendar, once the integration is enabled you can find the following attributes in your Happeo environment:
- View your Calendar on the Homepage
- View Calendar events within Channels
- Utilize all Calendar widgets within Pages
What are the limitations of disabling these integrations?
If Google Drive and Google Calendar are disabled or unauthorized you will not only not have any of the above features included in your Happeo environment but when you search for something within your Happeo homepage, anything regarding Drive files or Calendar events will not appear in the ‘All’ tab.
Additionally, when clicking on the ‘Files’ or ‘Calendar’ tab, you will find a message that either state that Drive or Calendar is disabled or unauthorized depending on your platform usage.