This article outlines what the Asana Federated Search Connector is, and includes steps on how to install and authorize the Search Connector.
What is it?
The Asana Search Connector is a tool that enables you to search for Asana tasks and projects directly from Happeo.
Once you’ve installed the Search Connector, you can type a specific keyword or phrase into Happeo’s Search Bar, and the Search Connector will display relevant results from your Asana account.
The features of the Search Connector include:
- Asana results show in your Search Suggestions
- Adds a new search tab for Asana results
- Allows using Asana-specific filters
- Clicking on a search result will open Asana on your browser
Scope of permissions
With access to your Asana account, Happeo’s Asana Search Connector can:
- Permission to access name and email address
- Permission to access tasks, projects, and workspaces
- Create and modify tasks, projects, and comments on behalf of the user
Currently, Asana does not provide fine-grained access to limit the scope. For more information, we suggest reading Asana developer documentation.
Note: Happeo only accesses Asana’s tasks search API.
How to install
To install the Asana Search Connector, you can:
- Navigate to the Admin Settings by clicking your Happeo avatar and selecting Admin Settings
- Click Apps
- Select (or search for) the Asana Search Connector
- Click Add to Happeo
- Once you’ve clicked Add to Happeo, you will receive a notification stating that you’ve installed the Search Connector successfully. To finalize this process, you will need to enable the Search App in the Search Settings. You can click Take me there within the notification to complete this process
- If you don’t receive a notification, you can also select the Search tab within the Admin Settings
- Within the Search tab, find the Asana Search Connector and toggle the options you wish to have enabled. You can choose between / both:
- Show in search (full search overview)
- Show in search predictions (search bar autocomplete)
How to uninstall
Uninstalling the Asana Federated Search Connector is simple!
As an Admin, you can:
- Navigate to the Admin Settings (by clicking your avatar)
- Go to Apps
- Click the Asana Search Connector
- Select Uninstall
- Click Yes, uninstall
How to authenticate
Once the Asana Search Connector has been successfully installed, regular users must authenticate the app.
As a regular user, to authenticate the app, you can:
- Type in what you are looking for in Happeo’s Search Bar and hit Enter
- On the left side of the page, you will see a list of apps enabled by your platform admin. Click Asana
- A message will appear indicating that you have not authorized the app. Click Authorize and follow the instructions
- Once you have logged in and authorized the app, you can go to Happeo and refresh the page. You should now be able to view Search Results in both the Search Predictions and the Search Overview for Asana (depending on what the platform Admin has enabled in terms of the Search App Settings)
Now, you can start searching for any query in Happeo’s search menu which will show the results from all the available and authorized applications. By clicking the Asana icon when searching for something in the Search Bar, the auto-suggestions from this app will be displayed.
You can narrow down the Search Results by different filtering options such as:
- Assigned to – Filter results based on tasks assigned to the “Me” or “Others”
- Completion – Filter results based on tasks that are “Completed” or “Incomplete”
- Task type – Filter results based on the task type - “Task” or “Subtask”
- Dependencies – Filter results based on if the tasks are “Blocking”, “Blocked” or “Not Blocked”
- Attachments – Filter results based on if the tasks “Have attachments”
You can click Clear filters on the right of the filters to deselect all the existing filters.