This article outlines what the Slack Federated Search Connector is, and includes steps on how to install and authorize the Search Connector.
What is it?
The Slack Federated Search Connector allows you to search content in Slack from the comfort of your Happeo search bar. The features of the Search Connector include:
- Slack results show in Happeo’s Search Suggestions
- A new Search Tab is added for Slack results in Happeo’s Search
- Specific filters are available for Slack Search Results
- Clicking a Search Result will open your Slack desktop app if installed (or browser if not installed)
Note: Content from archived Slack channels may appear in your Happeo Search Results, even if you cannot find this content in Slack. This is because the slack API has more reach than the Slack in-app search.
Scope of permissions
With access to your Slack account, Happeo’s Slack Search Connector can:
- View information about your identity that you have provided to Slack
- Search your Slack Workspace’s content (channels and conversations)
- View people in your workspace
- View the email addresses of people in your workspace
How to Install
Installing the Search Connector in Happeo
To install the Slack Federated Search Connector, you can:
- Navigate to the Admin Settings by clicking your Happeo avatar and selecting Admin Settings
- Click Apps
- Select (or search for) the Slack Search Connector
- Click Add to Happeo
- Once you’ve clicked Add to Happeo, you will receive a notification stating that you’ve installed the Search Connector successfully. To finalize this process, you will need to enable the Search Connector in the Search Settings. You can click Take me there within the notification to complete this process
- If you don’t receive a notification, you can also select the Search tab within the Admin settings
- Within the Search tab, find the Slack app and toggle the options you wish to have enabled. You can choose between / both:
- Show in search (full search overview)
- Show in search predictions (search bar autocomplete)
After installing the Slack Federated Search Connector in Happeo, you will need to adjust the settings in your Slack Workspace to ensure that other users within your Workspace can authorize the Search Connector.
- As a Slack Workspace owner, navigate to the Admin Settings of your Slack Workspace
- Click the Menu button at the top left corner of the page
- Click Configure apps
- Select App Management Settings in the left navigation
- Toggle OFF Only allow apps from the Slack App Directory
- The reason for this is that the Happeo Search Connector is outside of the Slack Directory
- Toggle ON Require App Approval
- By toggling on this option, members of your Slack Workspace will only be able to install pre-approved apps. Whether the app is inside or outside of the Slack Directory, users will only be able to enable, install and use what you (the Admin) have set. This removes any lack of security that toggling off the toggle as mentioned earlier may introduce
- Navigate to the Happeo Slack Federated Search Connector app (in Slack)
- Approve the application
How to authenticate
Once the Slack Search Connector has been successfully installed, regular users must authenticate the app.
As a regular user, to authenticate the app, you can:
- Type in what you are looking for in Happeo’s Search Bar and hit Enter
- On the left side of the page, you will see a list of apps enabled by your platform admin. Click Slack
- A message will appear indicating that you have not authorized the app. Click Authorize and follow the instructions
- Once you have logged in and authorized the app, you can go to Happeo and refresh the page. You should now be able to view Search Results in both the Search Predictions and the Search Overview for Slack (depending on what the platform Admin has enabled in terms of the Search App Settings)
Now, you can search for any query in Happeo’s search menu, showing the results from all the available and authorized applications. By clicking the Slack icon when searching for something in the Search Bar, the auto-suggestions from this app will be displayed.
How to uninstall
Uninstalling the Slack Federated Search Connector is simple!
As an Admin, you can navigate to the:
- Admin Settings (by clicking your avatar)
- Click the Slack Search Connector
- Select Uninstall
- Click Yes, uninstall