This article outlines what the Google Cloud Search is, and includes steps to install and authorize the Search Connector.
Package information: The Google Cloud Search is available in the Enterprise Package.
What is it?
Google Cloud Search helps you quickly find the information you need across all related Google applications, including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Drive, and Google Calendar, making your company’s information universally accessible.
The features of the Search Connector include:
- Google Search appears in your Search Suggestions
- Adds a new Search Tab for Google Search results (unless Google Cloud Search is the only Search Connector enabled)
- Allows you to use specific Google Cloud Search filters
- Clicking on a Search Result will open Google apps in your browser
Scenario: Google Cloud Search is the only enabled Search Connector
If Google Cloud Search is the only Search Connector enabled in your environment, instead of Google Cloud Search having a dedicated Search Tab, it will have its own section with datasources as Search Tabs.
Scope of permissions
The scopes include:
- Cloud Search Query scope – cloud_search.query
How to install
As an Admin, to install the Google Cloud Search, you can:
- Navigate to the Admin Settings by clicking your Happeo avatar and selecting Admin Settings
- Click Apps
- Select (or search for) Google Cloud Search
- Click Add to Happeo
Once you’ve clicked Add to Happeo, you will receive a notification stating that you’ve installed the Search Connector successfully. To finalize this process, you must enable the Search App in the Search Settings. You can click Take me there within the notification to complete this process
- If you don’t receive a notification, you can also select the Search tab within the Admin Settings
Within the Search tab, find the Google Cloud Search Connector and toggle the options you wish to have enabled. You can choose between / both:
- Show in search (full search overview)
- Show in search predictions (search bar autocomplete)
How to uninstall
Uninstalling the Google Cloud Search is simple!
As an Admin, you can:
- Navigate to the Admin Settings (by clicking your avatar)
- Go to Apps
- Click Google Cloud Search
- Select Uninstall
- Click Yes, uninstall
Set up the Search Connector
After the installation, you will be prompted to set up the connector.
A search application ID must be configured in the Google Cloud Search.
To get the search application ID, go to Google Workspace Admin Console. In the Admin console, go to Apps > Google Workspace > Cloud Search.
- Click the Search Applications card
- A list of your organization’s search applications will appear. Click the search application. The result will show the search application ID
After adding the application ID, the list of datasources will be displayed and you can upload the icon file. To do so, you can:
Follow the steps to upload the icon file
- The icon size should be 512 x 512
- If the size is not correct, an error message will be displayed. Please resize the image
- Save the changes
For the following example, we changed the icon of Facebook to Workplace.
How to authenticate
Once Google Cloud Search has been successfully installed, regular users must authenticate the app.
As a regular user, to authenticate the app you can:
- Type in what you are looking for in Happeo’s Search Bar
- Hit Enter or scroll down through the Search Results and click See all results for: “(what you typed in)”. This will bring you to a new window
- At the top of the page, you will see a list of tabs, some of which include apps enabled by your platform Admin. Click Google Cloud Search
- A message will appear indicating that you have not authorized the app. Click Authorize and follow the instructions
- Once you have logged in and authorized the app, navigate to Happeo and refresh the page. You should now be able to view Search Results in both the Search Predictions and the Search Overview for Google Cloud Search (depending on what the platform Admin has enabled in terms of the Search App Settings)
After successfully authenticating the Search Connector, you will be able to start using the app.
In Google Cloud Search, all the datasources and filters have already been configured in Google Cloud, while Happeo is just rendering that data. This means that there is no way to make changes to datasources in the Admin Settings.
You will be able to narrow down the Search Results based on the specific datasource (application).
In the example below, the user is looking for a document in Confluence. After selecting Confluence as a datasource, the dynamic filtering options will be displayed.
The user is then able to use the filtering options to quickly find the specific document.
For the Search Results to also show Happeo results from Google Cloud Search, an integration must be made to index Happeo data to Google Cloud Search.
This indexing can be done by installing the Happeo connector built by Raytion. After installing the Happeo connector for Google Cloud Search (by Raytion), please make sure to set the shortName for the data source as “happeo.”
For more information, please contact Raytion.